News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Discussion on British culture - our favourite British stuff!

Started by Amicale, February 24, 2012, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

What is the Queen's role in modern time? I dont get it. :<
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 19, 2012, 07:26:45 AM
What is the Queen's role in modern time? I dont get it. :<
Well some would say 'Not a lot', but they wouldn't necessarily appreciate what the Queen does in terms of diplomacy. The queen is an apolitical figurehead. Which is actually very useful. The other thing the Queen brings to the world of politics is unequalled experience. She was crowned in 1953 and has had apolitical contact with all the UK Prime Ministers and US presidents since then. In addition she has a lot of experience in the commonwealth.

While I have a lot of respect for the Queen her son Charles is an almost complete waste of space. If the Monarchy ended with QEII I wouldn't be upset because Charles is going to be an absolute pain in the arse. But I would love to have William as a young King.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Firebird on March 19, 2012, 12:55:05 AM
While I'm sure it was worse in the UK, there was definite overkill about her death over here too. All due respect to those of you from the UK, but I personally have never understood the fascination with the royals and why the institution continues to exist when they effectively have no power. I know they have some official duties, but let's be honest, it's largely symbolic. Why the continued fascination with every bit of gossip about them? It seems like such a frivolous waste of time to me. This is not a personal judgement against them as people; Diana seemed like a good person overall. But when people were going on and on about her death, as well as the royal wedding, I felt the occasional urge to yell "Who cares???" There's so many more important things going on.

You are right on all counts. Its a sentimental tradition. The fact that Harrys latest fart is splashed over the cover of every rag is as annoyng as every other celebrity non-news. reported here. In fact they would likely be pushed to the second page by Chris Martins latest fart.

The major benefit these days is in tourism. It's worth a lot. And for a country whose only real export of value is selling arms to bastards, it's important income.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Scissorlegs on March 19, 2012, 08:09:22 AM
The major benefit these days is in tourism. It's worth a lot. And for a country whose only real export of value is selling arms to bastards, it's important income.
I think we'd still get plenty of tourism without the royal family, there's plenty of history and things to see in the UK. Plus if we retired the royal family we could open up Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and other royal residences for tourists to walk around and see in full, just like the French have done with Versailles and the Louvre. Being a republic hasn't hurt the tourism industries of France (the most visited country in the world), Italy or Germany.

The monarchy costs the UK taxpayer something around £150 million a year. Given that the Queen's wealth alone is supposedly around £300 million, I really don't know why we have to fund their overprivileged lavish lifestyles at all. It just seems like an outdated vestige of our feudal past to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finances_of_the_British_Royal_Family#Estimates_of_costs_and_wealth

Tank

TFL. I agree we don't need the Royals as such to exploit our Royal heritage. Personally, at the moment, I'm glad we have the Queen so we don't have a president. I dread to think what will happen when Charles gets the throne.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Totally off topic from the Royals, but I've thought of a new thing that I love about the Brits.

I'm (half) listening to one talk on a conference call, and I love the way he says "Yeah?" after everything, meaning "You understand?"  So freaking cute.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

^^  Well then, consider yourself so freaking cute.  :D  So sayeth Ali.

Siz

Quote from: Ali on March 19, 2012, 05:13:23 PM

Ahh, I didn't realise being freakin' cute was so easy. If only I'd have known...

I suppose it's all in the delivery, right?... Yeah?

(How'd I do?)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on March 19, 2012, 03:43:13 PM
Totally off topic from the Royals, but I've thought of a new thing that I love about the Brits.

I'm (half) listening to one talk on a conference call, and I love the way he says "Yeah?" after everything, meaning "You understand?"  So freaking cute.

I agree! this is super cute!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on March 19, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 19, 2012, 05:13:23 PM

Ahh, I didn't realise being freakin' cute was so easy. If only I'd have known...

I suppose it's all in the delivery, right?... Yeah?

(How'd I do?)

Very well.   ;)

DeterminedJuliet

I also wish "Oi!" would catch on instead of "Hey!" in North America. But people here already think I'm weird enough with my "Newfie-isms" that I don't push the other foreign lingo.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 19, 2012, 02:15:04 PM
I think we'd still get plenty of tourism without the royal family, there's plenty of history and things to see in the UK.

England's the first place I head for if I had the money.  I'd start with a reading tour, visiting all the sites of literary significance, and then go on a tea tour.  After that, who knows?  (I'm imagining I've won the lottery)

Quote from: Tank on March 19, 2012, 02:27:50 PM
Personally, at the moment, I'm glad we have the Queen so we don't have a president. I dread to think what will happen when Charles gets the throne.

Doesn't the PM already do what a President does?  What would change if you were royal-less?  And can't the Queen name any successor she wants, or at least anyone in the royal line? 

Quote from: Ali on March 19, 2012, 03:43:13 PM

And how about the way some Englishmen call women in general "love"?  I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but it's still nice to hear.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

I love different culture's little habits. I use "ne" and "hah(?!)" a lot thanks to my asian gf. I also have a really bad habit of bowing more often now. ^^;

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

I don't respond to "hey!"
I think it's rude. I usually reply "hay is for horses."