Not that any of us are celebrating, but....

Started by Siz, December 25, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: BullyforBronto on December 28, 2011, 01:47:43 AM
Do you dive, Asmo? SCUBA, surface supplied, etc?
SCUBA. Never did surface-supplied - have not even taken theoretical classes for that.

Also did some free-diving before, but my lung capacity has pretty damned literally gone up in smoke in these last years  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Asmodean on December 28, 2011, 06:02:05 AM
Quote from: BullyforBronto on December 28, 2011, 01:47:43 AM
Do you dive, Asmo? SCUBA, surface supplied, etc?
SCUBA. Never did surface-supplied - have not even taken theoretical classes for that.

Also did some free-diving before, but my lung capacity has pretty damned literally gone up in smoke in these last years  :P

Cool. I grew up diving in South Florida -- nice warm water. I'm sure it's pretty chilly on your side of the pond.

Asmodean

Quote from: BullyforBronto on December 28, 2011, 01:10:38 PM
Cool. I grew up diving in South Florida -- nice warm water. I'm sure it's pretty chilly on your side of the pond.
Which is why we use semi-dry suits when the water is just cold and dry suits when it's BLOODY HELL!!! kind of cold  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

I did my PADI OW off the south coast of England in February... in a wetsuit. Now THAT was cold!

That was many years ago and now I'm AOW. Looking now to gain enough dives (100) so I can start ice-diving - my lifelong ambition. Any of you ever done ice-dives?

Also, absolutely LOVE free-diving - best feeling in the world!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

How come you guys don't have sharks that can bight you in half?
Did you eat them all?

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 29, 2011, 03:07:03 AM
Did you eat them all?
Those particular sharks prefer different habitats, although I see no real reason why they wouldn't be able to survive here, provided they found enough to gnaw on.

There are orca whales around every now and then though
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

BullyforBronto

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 29, 2011, 03:07:03 AM
Did you eat them all?

About five years ago, I was free diving in 25-30 fsw, about 300 yards from the beach. Speargun in hand, I was chasing a fish into the reef when I caught a shadow in my periphery. As I ascended, I saw an 8' plus bull shark swimming right beside me. He had remoras on him that were at least 4' long.  :o :o
Anyway, he circled me a few times and got a bit too close on one pass. That's when I made a jabbing motion at him with the speargun and he sped off. I never swam so fast back to the beach in my life. After that incident, I bought a kayak. Got to have an escape plan when spearfishing.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BullyforBronto on December 29, 2011, 03:53:38 AM
About five years ago, I was free diving in 25-30 fsw, about 300 yards from the beach. Speargun in hand, I was chasing a fish into the reef when I caught a shadow in my periphery. As I ascended, I saw an 8' plus bull shark swimming right beside me. He had remoras on him that were at least 4' long.  :o :o
Anyway, he circled me a few times and got a bit too close on one pass. That's when I made a jabbing motion at him with the speargun and he sped off. I never swam so fast back to the beach in my life. After that incident, I bought a kayak. Got to have an escape plan when spearfishing.

The talk is the shark that you don't see is the one to worry about, which is worrying.
I think bull shark attacks usualy occur in murky water, if its murky biting is a good way to find out if you're edible, some say they are territorial.

Bull sharks can add an extra dimension to golf course hazards.
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/bull-sharks-invade-australian-golf-course-lake.html