News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Are all atheist antireligious?

Started by Cforcerunner, November 14, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Davin on November 15, 2011, 08:27:03 PM
It is unfortunate, it would be easy to "convert" people if you did.

My point is that you can't prove God like you can prove my glass of water will eventually evaporate. What you consider "evidence" is misplaced and very misrepresenting of the subject at hand. Well if you don't see any evidence for  moral consciousness or human rights, I suppose they just don't really exist and are far from admirable.

Davin

Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 15, 2011, 08:38:27 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 15, 2011, 08:27:03 PM
It is unfortunate, it would be easy to "convert" people if you did.

My point is that you can't prove God like you can prove my glass of water will eventually evaporate. What you consider "evidence" is misplaced and very misrepresenting of the subject at hand. Well if you don't see any evidence for  moral consciousness or human rights, I suppose they just don't really exist and are far from admirable.
You have no idea what I consider "evidence" so you cannot make any useful mention pertaining to what I consider "evidence". If you don't find those things admirable, why did you bring them up in this discussion?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 15, 2011, 08:33:10 PM
I appreciate your open mind, and tolerance. But I wouldn't you also agree that the affects of nihilism and communist soviet union are not as well guilty of negatively impacting society through fervently suppressing religion? 

Yes. in my opinion anything that suppresses anything is a negative towards society and to humanity as a whole, that includes undesirable and 'evil' notions; however by saying that doesn't mean that they should be left unchallenged, rather real solutions and strategies should be developed that help deal with something that people can live with comfortably rather than force it out of sight and out of mind so those beliefs/thoughts are allowed to ferment and get worse until it explodes. Though I would say the examples you gave were not as bad as religion but that may simply be because they have not had the rich history that religion as a whole has had.
Retired member.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Crow on November 15, 2011, 09:27:01 PM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 15, 2011, 08:33:10 PM
I appreciate your open mind, and tolerance. But I wouldn't you also agree that the affects of nihilism and communist soviet union are not as well guilty of negatively impacting society through fervently suppressing religion? 

Yes. in my opinion anything that suppresses anything is a negative towards society and to humanity as a whole, that includes undesirable and 'evil' notions; however by saying that doesn't mean that they should be left unchallenged, rather real solutions and strategies should be developed that help deal with something that people can live with comfortably rather than force it out of sight and out of mind so those beliefs/thoughts are allowed to ferment and get worse until it explodes. Though I would say the examples you gave were not as bad as religion but that may simply be because they have not had the rich history that religion as a whole has had.

Nicely said, your sense of objectivity on the matter is impressive.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 14, 2011, 02:46:09 PM
I am curious to know how many of those who consider themselves atheists feel very strongly towards religious freedom and who sees religion as a very viable component of human society without associating themselves with a particular religious group.

Although the demand for religious freedom annoys me (because to me it is just a bunch of people demanding the choice to be incredibly stupid, AND to have that respected) I do accept that anybody should be free to practice any religion they like. As long as they accept that I am free to point and laugh at them.

As for - is religion a viable component of human society? No, it is shit.

I can understand the group meet, group think, mob mentality of it all, but the sooner it is disbanded the better.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Heisenberg

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 16, 2011, 12:05:06 AM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 14, 2011, 02:46:09 PM
I am curious to know how many of those who consider themselves atheists feel very strongly towards religious freedom and who sees religion as a very viable component of human society without associating themselves with a particular religious group.

Although the demand for religious freedom annoys me (because to me it is just a bunch of people demanding the choice to be incredibly stupid, AND to have that respected) I do accept that anybody should be free to practice any religion they like. As long as they accept that I am free to point and laugh at them.

As for - is religion a viable component of human society? No, it is shit.

I can understand the group meet, group think, mob mentality of it all, but the sooner it is disbanded the better.
I was thinking how I was gonna make my point and it seems you've made it for me. I have no respect for people who believe in Yahweh.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 16, 2011, 03:02:21 AM
I have no respect for people who believe in Yahweh.

Isn't this a warm how-you-do...

Norfolk And Chance

My point is that you can't prove God like you can prove my glass of water will eventually evaporate.

You should be able to, if he is real.

QuoteWhat you consider "evidence" is misplaced and very misrepresenting of the subject at hand. Well if you don't see any evidence for  moral consciousness or human rights, I suppose they just don't really exist and are far from admirable.

Moral conciousness and human rights are not proof or evidence for god.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 16, 2011, 05:04:56 AM

Not all atheists are interested in being friendly with those they might consider to be deluded. Some of these may entertain the thought of being friendly, but lose the urge to be friendly any more after one too many arguments with a theist where the the theist uses stupid non logic.

Heisenberg

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on November 16, 2011, 05:04:56 AM

The thread is called 'Are all atheists antireligious', not 'Ask a theist how he's doing'. I'd be willing to bet that most people on here have no respect for the religious. They aren't willing to admit it because we're raised in a society where we're told to question everything except people's religious beliefs. As if those somehow supersede the logic that we apply to everyday life.

Faith is seriously the absolute dumbest concept mankind has ever created. Not only do people believe in things which they KNOW can't be proved, but they actually believe this is something to aspire to. I laugh every time a deconvert on here mentions that they used to believe faith was a virtue. Yet after they come to the big realization that religion is bullshit, they realize that this was the most deluded of their thoughts.

So I guess between faith (another word for ignorance as far as I'm concerned), imaginary friends and this ridiculous belief that our mind goes somewhere after our body breaks down and dies, I have no idea what it is I'm supposed to respect about it.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 16, 2011, 02:09:43 PMI'd be willing to bet that most people on here have no respect for the religious. They aren't willing to admit it because we're raised in a society where we're told to question everything except people's religious beliefs.

I often find religious belief and the defence of it perplexing, I don't have much respect for the actual belief.  The right to believe I have to respect, it's part of the freedom to think as you will.  The religious can earn my respect by actions or shared non religious beliefs and values, there is also an assumption humans deserve some respect until they prove unworthy beyond silly ideas.  I respect Animated Dirt and wish him well, he bugs me at times but I expect I do the same for him.

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 16, 2011, 02:09:43 PMI'd be willing to bet that most people on here have no respect for the religious. They aren't willing to admit it because we're raised in a society where we're told to question everything except people's religious beliefs.

It's a bit presumptuous to assume the people here haven't examined their motivations to the same degree as you.  Perhaps they have and have just reached different conclusions.

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 16, 2011, 02:09:43 PM
Faith is seriously the absolute dumbest concept mankind has ever created.

Maybe, or maybe it served a purpose in the past.
There are other fucked up concepts.

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 16, 2011, 02:09:43 PMI have no idea what it is I'm supposed to respect about it.

There is a difference between not respecting religion and not respecting the religious. 
I'd suppose some respect between atheist and theist is desirable, there are shared problems to be solved.

Whitney

I'd be willing to bet that most people on here have no respect for the religious.

I think it's possible to respect a religious person without being supportive of their religious beliefs.  I know way too many smart, nice, fun, good etc religious people to discount them all just because they have a quirky view of reality.  Even many skeptics still have some oddball belief even if it may not be religious in nature....we all compartmentalize to some degree. 

Now...I can't say there aren't some types of religious beliefs that if a person holds would lose all of my respect as I'd have to think something deep down is horribly wrong with that person; but that doesn't apply to how most believers practice the mainstream religions.

Cforcerunner

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 16, 2011, 10:55:18 AM
My point is that you can't prove God like you can prove my glass of water will eventually evaporate.

You should be able to, if he is real.

QuoteWhat you consider "evidence" is misplaced and very misrepresenting of the subject at hand. Well if you don't see any evidence for  moral consciousness or human rights, I suppose they just don't really exist and are far from admirable.

Moral conciousness and human rights are not proof or evidence for god.

How about this, prove to me moral consciousness and human rights exist, and then I'll prove God to you right after that, deal?!

Quote from: Whitney on November 16, 2011, 03:23:19 PM
I'd be willing to bet that most people on here have no respect for the religious.

I think it's possible to respect a religious person without being supportive of their religious beliefs.  I know way too many smart, nice, fun, good etc religious people to discount them all just because they have a quirky view of reality.  Even many skeptics still have some oddball belief even if it may not be religious in nature....we all compartmentalize to some degree. 

Now...I can't say there aren't some types of religious beliefs that if a person holds would lose all of my respect as I'd have to think something deep down is horribly wrong with that person; but that doesn't apply to how most believers practice the mainstream religions.

That's good to know, I know many secular philosophers from my university with even quirkier worldviews like subjective idealism and forms of existentialism. There are plenty of unique beliefs out there.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 16, 2011, 04:22:21 PM

How about this, prove to me moral consciousness and human rights exist, and then I'll prove God to you right after that, deal?!
'moral consciousness' and 'human rights' are concepts, they don't exist in any real concrete sense, they only exist if we choose for them to. Even then they're subjective values created by society and individuals, different people have different views on what 'moral consciousness' and 'human rights' are. Are you saying that your god is also just a subjective concept created by society, and not an objectively real entity?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Too Few Lions on November 16, 2011, 04:30:18 PM
Quote from: Cforcerunner on November 16, 2011, 04:22:21 PM

'moral consciousness' and 'human rights' are concepts, they don't exist in any real concrete sense, they only exist if we choose for them to. Even then they're subjective values created by society and individuals, different people have different views on what 'moral consciousness' and 'human rights' are. Are you saying that your god is also just a subjective concept created by society, and not an objectively real entity?

That have objective effects on people, whole groups and societites. Is god the projection of those effects?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey