News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Could New Drug Cure Nearly Any Viral Infection?

Started by Tank, August 27, 2011, 11:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Could New Drug Cure Nearly Any Viral Infection? Technology Shows Promise Against Common Cold, Influenza and Other Ailments, Researchers Say

QuoteScienceDaily (Aug. 26, 2011) — Most bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, discovered decades ago. However, such drugs are useless against viral infections, including influenza, the common cold, and deadly hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola.

Now, in a development that could transform how viral infections are treated, a team of researchers at MIT's Lincoln Laboratory has designed a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection...

Possibly the most important discovey of the 21st century?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

I'd say that is a pretty important discovery if it actually works in human trials.

Medusa

In about 20 years we will be paying $100 a pill for these. And then some genius will be making a disease that will be able to withstand this new pill. Then Tom Cruise will have to come in and save the day with his fake masks and gun play while looking hot and wind blowing in his stern but smexy face. I'm on to the whole story!

*continues watching Mission Impossible 3
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Ihateyoumike

Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Let's hope it works.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

McQ

Looks like very early stage work still. Lots of hurdles to get over before they can talk about this being worthwhile or effective in humans, but that's how all research starts with new drugs. Really worth continued study and hopefully it will be able to get to human trials.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Davin

Quote from: Medusa on August 27, 2011, 10:45:40 PM
In about 20 years we will be paying $100 a pill for these. And then some genius will be making a disease that will be able to withstand this new pill. Then Tom Cruise will have to come in and save the day with his fake masks and gun play while looking hot and wind blowing in his stern but smexy face. I'm on to the whole story!

*continues watching Mission Impossible 3
No flying doves? I don't think he can save the world without at least one scene of him walking through doves that are flying away.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Protein coatings differ from virus to virus, so how is this thing supposed to kill "nearly any virus" without killing the host as well?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Quote from: Asmodean on August 29, 2011, 05:16:12 PM
Protein coatings differ from virus to virus, so how is this thing supposed to kill "nearly any virus" without killing the host as well?

Quote... a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection ...

It goes for the cells, presumably before they can make and disperse more viruses.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on August 29, 2011, 05:23:56 PM
It goes for the cells, presumably before they can make and disperse more viruses.
Something still makes me think the hoast will have about as much of a chance of dying from the treatment as from the virus it is supposed to help with...  :-\ But I have been known for being wrong on rare occasion.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

truthandwisdom

Quote from: Asmodean on August 29, 2011, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: OldGit on August 29, 2011, 05:23:56 PM
Something still makes me think the hoast will have about as much of a chance of dying from the treatment as from the virus it is supposed to help with...  :-\ But I have been known for being wrong on rare occasion.  ;D
Hello, newbie here but interested in medicine and biology. The synthetic molecule targets only dsRNA which is only produced by a virus infected cell. The molecule leaves the cell unharmed if no dsRNA is found with which to attach. Once the dsRNA is found, the molecule attaches and signals apoptosis (cell suicide). Which makes it impossible for the virus to replicate. It is really an ingenius process that might be revolutionary. Although, if it is truly this universally effective, one could imagine that the powers that be will do all in their power to get financial control of the patent. I hope the creators pull a Jonas Salk and give the instructions away for free. When asked who owns the patent to the polio vaccine, Jonas Salk said "No one. Would you patent the sun?"
Non-belief in a deity is not, in itself, a virtue. It is simply the first step on a journey towards intellectual maturity.

Tank

^^^ Good point about the patent and the distribution of the finished product. The future will be interesting when natural selection gets going and we get 'super flue' or an obscure viral reproduction mechanism gets selected for and kills 90% of the human race. One way to cure over population.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.