News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

What's more likely to kill me first, I wonder..? Sex, smokes or eating habits?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 05:13:50 PM

And if you cut all of those out, could you live forever?   Would you want to?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 16, 2012, 05:04:02 PM
How is ANY sex act  which carries with it a very high degree of physical and/or biological harm ... (often leading to fatality).... be considered acceptable to engage in  /  just a viable alternative /   and be vehemently endorsed  to the masses  as socially acceptable ?    

Wow, did you really just say that?  :o

You've been corrected on this numerous times on this thread, but you still keep your blinders on. If you look up the statistics (google is your friend), you'll see that there's actually a higher proportion of STDs in the heterosexul popluation than homosexual.

Your arguments are weak and biased. If you want to be taken seriously please reformulate them.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:15:08 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 16, 2012, 05:13:50 PM

And if you cut all of those out, could you live forever?   Would you want to?
Heh... No, I would not want that. I'd rather be a supermassive star and go out in a supernova long before my billionth birthday than be a solar mass star and go out with a whimper after a half eternity.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

SA...I'm still waiting for you to actually address the people who have indicated where your reasoning is off.  So far we have only established that you at least agree that straight sex can also be dangerous.  So why did you throw out so much hatred towards homosexuals earlier in the post which threw up red flags?  Either you have more "reasons" for why you don't like the idea that gay people exist or it's time to retract your previous beliefs now that you've had more time to think about it.

I'd also like more reasons for why you think PDA is bad.  Why should I care if two people hold hands or kiss each other in public?  Why should I care if those two people happen to be unmarried or gay?  Does their love for each other hurt me? Should we make displaying of affection illegal just to make the more prudish among us feel comfortable?  WHY??

Sandra Craft

How is ANY sex act  which carries with it a very high degree of physical and/or biological harm ... (often leading to fatality).... be considered acceptable to engage in  /  just a viable alternative /   and be vehemently endorsed  to the masses  as socially acceptable ?   

How is this still not a private matter?  How does this involve all people of a specific sexuality even if they are not promiscuous?  How are other dangerous, biologically harmful acts not included?

Also, I do not see homosexuality as being vehemently endorsed as socially acceptable.  It's being occasionally acknowledged to actually exist in ways that are not stereotypical, and is being slowly (and I hope surely) legally presented as "not your business" to people who wish to interfere in others private lives.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:12:06 PM

How is ANY sex act  which carries with it a very high degree of physical and/or biological harm ... (often leading to fatality).... be considered acceptable to engage in  /  just a viable alternative /   and be vehemently endorsed  to the masses  as socially acceptable ?   

I think you're overstating the level of "danger" when it comes to homosexual sex, and understating the level of "danger" when it comes to heterosexual sex.  

No sex is 100% safe.  Certain behaviors (like promiscuity) increase the risk of catching an STD.  There are promiscuous people of all stripes (hetero, homo, bi, whatever people consider themselves.)

And the bottom line is, I think that adults are capable of weighing the risks of sex without considering them "immoral."

The independent facts for sexual hedonisms STD epidemic  , clearly show that people are ill-informed and/or  are apathetic to the dangers :

One out of 4 women and one out of 5 men have no knowledge about their sexual partners' history.
Two-thirds of 1,000 women age 18 to 60 knew nothing or very little about STDs (other than HIV/AIDS) in 1995.
The highest at-risk groups are adolescents and gays. African American and Hispanic women are also in the high-risk group.
The rate of unwanted pregnancies and incidence of disease is alarming...

Random facts and figures.
* One out of 4 women and one out of 5 men have no knowledge about their sexual partners' history.
* Two-thirds of 1,000 women age 18 to 60 knew nothing or very little about STDs (other than HIV/AIDS) in 1995.
* The highest at-risk groups are adolescents and gays. African American and Hispanic women are also in the high-risk group.
* The rate of unwanted pregnancies and incidence of disease is alarming.
* There are over 15,000,000 new cases of STDs a year.
* Over 70,000 Americans have a viral STD--like genital herpes, HIV/AIDS, or Hepatitis B.
* Individuals under 25 have two-thirds of the STD cases in the U.S.
* 1 out of 4 teens will contract an STD.
* 1,000,000 teenage pregnancies each year.

Rates of curable STD cases in the U.S. are the highest in the developed world.

* There are 150 STD cases per 100,000 in the U.S. versus 3 cases per 100,000 in Sweden.
* Over 70,000 Americans have viral STD--like genital herpes, HIV/AIDS, or hepatitis B.
* Viral STDs such as HPV, herpes, and hepatitis B are lifelong diseases.
* Many people experience no noticeable symptoms initially, but can still pass on the disease.
* Women are up to 5 times more likely to become infected and suffer more serious consequences.

Over 20,000 new cases of HIV/AIDS are diagnosed each year in the U.S.

* 62% of those cases reported before 1996 have died (319,000 Americans).
* Women now represent 30% of new HIV/AIDS cases reported.
* 75% of the cases are from heterosexual sex.
* 3 out of 5 Americans with HIV were infected as teens.
* HIV infection rates are 10 times higher when STDs are not treated properly.

Sexual habits reinforce the need to use condoms.

* Age of sexual maturity is decreasing; age of marriage is increasing.
* More sex, more partners, more risk.
* 46% of teens (14-18) have had intercourse.
* 50% divorce rate means reentering the dating scene to deal with new health challenges.

Sources: American Social Health Association, CDC, Kaiser Foundation

Sweetdeath

Your argument is so invalid, SA.
Seriously, where are you from?

Your parasitic way of thinking leaves nothing to be desired. I feel very bad for you.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 16, 2012, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 16, 2012, 05:12:06 PM

I think you're overstating the level of "danger" when it comes to homosexual sex, and understating the level of "danger" when it comes to heterosexual sex.  

No sex is 100% safe.  Certain behaviors (like promiscuity) increase the risk of catching an STD.  There are promiscuous people of all stripes (hetero, homo, bi, whatever people consider themselves.)

And the bottom line is, I think that adults are capable of weighing the risks of sex without considering them "immoral."

The independent facts for sexual hedonisms STD epidemic  , clearly show that people are ill-informed and/or  are apathetic to the dangers :

One out of 4 women and one out of 5 men have no knowledge about their sexual partners' history.
Two-thirds of 1,000 women age 18 to 60 knew nothing or very little about STDs (other than HIV/AIDS) in 1995.
The highest at-risk groups are adolescents and gays. African American and Hispanic women are also in the high-risk group.
The rate of unwanted pregnancies and incidence of disease is alarming...

Random facts and figures.
* One out of 4 women and one out of 5 men have no knowledge about their sexual partners' history.
* Two-thirds of 1,000 women age 18 to 60 knew nothing or very little about STDs (other than HIV/AIDS) in 1995.
* The highest at-risk groups are adolescents and gays. African American and Hispanic women are also in the high-risk group.
* The rate of unwanted pregnancies and incidence of disease is alarming.
* There are over 15,000,000 new cases of STDs a year.
* Over 70,000 Americans have a viral STD--like genital herpes, HIV/AIDS, or Hepatitis B.
* Individuals under 25 have two-thirds of the STD cases in the U.S.
* 1 out of 4 teens will contract an STD.
* 1,000,000 teenage pregnancies each year.

Rates of curable STD cases in the U.S. are the highest in the developed world.

* There are 150 STD cases per 100,000 in the U.S. versus 3 cases per 100,000 in Sweden.
* Over 70,000 Americans have viral STD--like genital herpes, HIV/AIDS, or hepatitis B.
* Viral STDs such as HPV, herpes, and hepatitis B are lifelong diseases.
* Many people experience no noticeable symptoms initially, but can still pass on the disease.
* Women are up to 5 times more likely to become infected and suffer more serious consequences.

Over 20,000 new cases of HIV/AIDS are diagnosed each year in the U.S.

* 62% of those cases reported before 1996 have died (319,000 Americans).
* Women now represent 30% of new HIV/AIDS cases reported.
* 75% of the cases are from heterosexual sex.
* 3 out of 5 Americans with HIV were infected as teens.
* HIV infection rates are 10 times higher when STDs are not treated properly.

Sexual habits reinforce the need to use condoms.

* Age of sexual maturity is decreasing; age of marriage is increasing.
* More sex, more partners, more risk.
* 46% of teens (14-18) have had intercourse.
* 50% divorce rate means reentering the dating scene to deal with new health challenges.

Sources: American Social Health Association, CDC, Kaiser Foundation

Yep.  So why is any of this an argument that homosexual sex is immoral?  Did you happen to notice the part where it actually says that 75% of the new cases of HIV are from heterosexual sex?  So if you equate "dangerous" with "immoral" then wouldn't you consider hetero sex more "immoral" than homosexual sex?  

Sandra Craft

People are often stupid about sex and always have been, whatever their sexuality.  This is one of life's risks, and if your concern is making life risk-free, I don't think that can be done.  I'm not even sure it should be done.  In any case, what do all those statistics have to do with it being right to discriminate against and oppress homosexuals?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Whitney on January 16, 2012, 05:52:27 PM
SA...I'm still waiting for you to actually address the people who have indicated where your reasoning is off.  So far we have only established that you at least agree that straight sex can also be dangerous.  So why did you throw out so much hatred towards homosexuals earlier in the post which threw up red flags?  Either you have more "reasons" for why you don't like the idea that gay people exist or it's time to retract your previous beliefs now that you've had more time to think about it.

I'd also like more reasons for why you think PDA is bad.  Why should I care if two people hold hands or kiss each other in public?  Why should I care if those two people happen to be unmarried or gay?  Does their love for each other hurt me? Should we make displaying of affection illegal just to make the more prudish among us feel comfortable?  WHY??

I qualified my stand on why I do not agree with homosexuality, per the OP's request  allowing me the right  to do so .   I also clarified that i do not hate a person or group but I have reasons for finding some lifestyle choices , homosexuality included , abberrant and dangerous from independent published data reflecting current reality here in the U.S.   This information stands on its own, and i dont wish to get into the periphial habits of the homosexual community which you have brought up.  Thank you though for your contribution.

Whitney

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 16, 2012, 06:00:24 PM

I'm pretty sure almost everyone on this forum was already well aware of the risks of having unprotected sex with unfamiliar partners (we aren't naive teenagers raised in rural religious communities or drug addicts...those are the ones driving up the statistics)...no one here is advocating sleeping around indiscriminately.

Try to stay on topic....

Whitney

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 16, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: Whitney on January 16, 2012, 05:52:27 PM

I qualified my stand on why I do not agree with homosexuality, per the OP's request  allowing me the right  to do so .   I also clarified that i do not hate a person or group but I have reasons for finding some lifestyle choices , homosexuality included , abberrant and dangerous from independent published data reflecting current reality here in the U.S.   This information stands on its own, and i dont wish to get into the periphial habits of the homosexual community which you have brought up.  Thank you though for your contribution.

I suggest you think about your decision to not want to explore your beliefs rationally...you are on very thin ice here and if you continue to post on this topic without backing up your views you'll have broken that ice.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 16, 2012, 06:12:34 PM
People are often stupid about sex and always have been, whatever their sexuality.  This is one of life's risks, and if your concern is making life risk-free, I don't think that can be done.  I'm not even sure it should be done.......

What is the downside to trying to make a particular lifestyle which is/has shown itself to be extremely dangerous toward its Players  and a nation at large,   risk free or at least moving in that direction ?   Im just wondering if there are any plans that could be implemented  to assist in this endeavor ... have you any ideas ?

Buddy

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 16, 2012, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 16, 2012, 06:12:34 PM
People are often stupid about sex and always have been, whatever their sexuality.  This is one of life's risks, and if your concern is making life risk-free, I don't think that can be done.  I'm not even sure it should be done.......

What is the downside to trying to make a particular lifestyle which is/has shown itself to be extremely dangerous toward its Players  and a nation at large,   risk free or at least moving in that direction ?   Im just wondering if there are any plans that could be implemented  to assist in this endeavor ... have you any ideas ?

Please excuse me butting in, but I'll try my hand at answering some questions.

When you say that this "game" has risks, I'm assuming that you mean homosexual sex. If it has been proven that heterosexual sex is also dangerous, would it make sense to do away with that as well? Both are basically a game of Russian roulette when it comes to the diseases that can be transmitted. Even oral sex can transmit the same diseases. To wipe out all the dangers that you are listing, one would need to stop all sexual behavior. Which, of course, would eventually lead to extinction of humans.

As for plans of reducing disease, I pretty much believe that one should know of their partner's sexual history and not have sex with just anybody. Basically using common sense.

*Edit for a typo
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.