News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

New convert to your Athiesm religion

Started by theRapture, May 12, 2011, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theRapture

Hi guys/gals!

I was born and raised/brainwashed into Catholic from birth by school and family.  Thank God I found a place on the web where like minded people to this new found way of thinking.  Just wanted to say hello.

Whitney

Welcome to HAF.

I have to ask...are you really an atheist or are you just another catholic from that forum where HAF was linked from?  The reason I ask is because atheist isn't a religion and most who understand what the word means wouldn't call it one either...or thank god (though you could be trying to be sarcastic).

theRapture

I assure you that I was not linked (nor was I ever apart of any) to here by a Catholic forum.  By the way, just because I'm new to athiesm (and I apologize for calling it a religion).

What is the common athiest view for the end of days out of curiosity? 

SoTheyTellMe

Quote from: theRapture on May 12, 2011, 07:12:01 PM

You'll have to elaborate. Also, this sounds like a religious reference to an apocalypse or end of times. If it is, then I'd say that Atheists wouldn't believe that such a thing exists.

Maria

Welcome to HAF.
QuoteWhat is the common athiest view for the end of days out of curiosity?
End of day is when the sun goes down. It gets dark.

The Magic Pudding

(nor was I ever apart of any) to here by a Catholic forum. 

That "apart" doesn't sound right.

Various views.
Chortle chortle, snigger snigger.
Which end of days?  The one that is immanent now, or the one which was upon us a thousand years ago?
Not one of Arnold's better movies.
Time of great real estate opportunity.
If some guy says he'll be back to pick you up soon, and you are still waiting 2000 years later, well it's a bit sad.

Welcome theRapture, funny name for an atheist.

theRapture

Quote from: SoTheyTellMe on May 12, 2011, 07:32:03 PM

You'll have to elaborate. Also, this sounds like a religious reference to an apocalypse or end of times. If it is, then I'd say that Atheists wouldn't believe that such a thing exists.

So the world is just going to exist forever.  I mean, at some point the Sun is going to explode or something, right?  (whatever the science term for when it gets really big a red).

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

SoTheyTellMe

Quote from: theRapture on May 12, 2011, 07:54:19 PM

So the world is just going to exist forever.  I mean, at some point the Sun is going to explode or something, right?  (whatever the science term for when it gets really big a red).

No, I said that Atheists probably wouldn't believe in a religious-type of end of the world (such as a rapture). If you mean something scientific such as the sun exploding, I'm sure most people would consider that to be a very probable future.

Tank

I assure you that I was not linked (nor was I ever apart of any) to here by a Catholic forum.  By the way, just because I'm new to athiesm (and I apologize for calling it a religion).

It's not a bad film but Gabriel Byrne acted Arnold Schwarzenegger into the ground  ;D

Welcome to HAF!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Why such a fascination for the end of the world?

theRapture

Quote from: Stevil on May 12, 2011, 08:35:11 PM
Why such a fascination for the end of the world?

Probably from my religious upbringing.  You have nuns pounding you every day with the thought that if you don't write in proper cursive, your desk is a mess, or you are left handed that you will spend an eternity in hell it really messes with your mind.  That's all I can thing of.

I mean, to you guys (people who've been non-religious/atheists) thinking about the end of the world isn't normal?  That's almost odd in the world I grew up in, have known for most of my life.

Tank

One can't avoid the 'end of the world' as there are all the Discovery Channel, National Geographic programmes on asteroids and super volcanoes etc etc. If one paid attention to all of them one would end up crippled by paranoia! 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

SoTheyTellMe

Aren't an eternity in hell and rapture a bit different?

I think about death sometimes, is that what you mean? By end of the world do you mean end of OUR world, as in Earth, or the end of someone's personal world, or their life?

Maria

Quote from: theRapture
Yes, the sun wil enter red giant phase when it runs out of hydrogen. It will expand rapidly and life on earth will almost certainly end. This will happen in about 5 billion years from now. I'll be 5,000,000,023 by then, so I won't care.