News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Sexism: Is It Acceptable?

Started by LegendarySandwich, January 24, 2011, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Quote from: "pilchardo"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "pilchardo"Could you elaborate on your questions. What exactly do you want to know?

It's simple, the people that you treat differently, like black people. How do you treat black people differently?

Is that all you want to know or don't you want to know how I treat people differently in general? Why are you focussing on black people?

You didn't say people in general, you said women and black people, this whole thread was about sexism so I'm pretty sure how you treat women has already been defined. I simply want to understand why you treat black people differently and that is because i'm curious, now please, stop answering my question with a question.

pilchardo

Well, I just treat them in a different manner. I adapt to situations. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Ultima22689

Quote from: "pilchardo"Well, I just treat them in a different manner. I adapt to situations. Did you have anything specific in mind?

What manner is that? Could please not be so vague?

pilchardo

Quote from: "pilchardo"Well, I just treat them in a different manner. I adapt to situations. Did you have anything specific in mind?

It depends on the situation. Like I say I adapt. Don't you adapt to different situations?

Ultima22689

Quote from: "pilchardo"

It depends on the situation. Like I say I adapt. Don't you adapt to different situations?

Of course I do, i've never had to adapt to different races though, so why do you have to "adapt" to black people and how do you do so? You said only a black person would notice, so you must have some idea, so I must ask again, could you stop answering my questions with questions?

pilchardo

I want to ask you another question, but if you don't want me to, I won't.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Not only do they nicely solve the problem of what to do about gays (and other people with "nontraditional" sexualities, such as transgenders)...
I don't see that there ever was a "problem of what to do with gays", etc. Also, transgender isn't a sexuality, just so you know.
Yeah, I know. I was struggling with how to word my post.

LegendarySandwich

Pilchardo is just confirming my suspicions that he is indeed a troll, and is probably Bubblepot.

I made this thread so you would answer the question, Pilchardo. All you've done is really just repeat what you originally said in a few more sentences, and sidestep requests for you to elaborate.

In what situations do you feel it's acceptable to treat women/black people differently than men/white people, Pilchardo?

pilchardo

Let me ask you a question first. Do you think you sound like someone angling for a reason to cry "racist"?

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "pilchardo"Let me ask you a question first. Do you think you sound like someone angling for a reason to cry "racist"?
I'll answer your question when you answer my question.

Whitney

pilchardo's access to HAF has now been restricted to the getting to know you section due to continued disruption of the general forum.  If he is able to behave there for a while he will be given a second chance to participate in the general form.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "pilchardo"Let me ask you a question first. Do you think you sound like someone angling for a reason to cry "racist"?
I'll answer your question when you answer my question.

It shouldn't be too hard to answer this how would you treat black people differently thing.
Cultural sensitivity isn't a bad thing.
Mohamed Ali came to Australia once as guest at an awards ceremony, the compare who isn't known to be a racist said "I like the boy"  Not a good choice of words, but made innocently I think.  
Some Australian indigenous people don't like to talk about, or see depictions of recently deceased community members.  Warnings often appear on TV to let them know a program may offend them.  I don't have a problem with showing a bit of respect.

LegendarySandwich

I was browsing the Youtubes, and I came across this:
[youtube:15pijr1j]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hluo9nyHBSs[/youtube:15pijr1j]
It struck me as incredibly sexist. Why are double-standards okay?

SSY

Quote from: "Tank"I tend to agree. One's sexual orientation should be irrelevant in a public situation where sexual activity is inappropriate. Now if one goes to a gay bar in the evening and gets mildly drunk with friends and gets one's arse grabbed it goes with the situation and one shouldn't get up-tight about it. In fact one should take it as a compliment  :hmm:

Disagree, a bar is a drinking establishment, not an orgy, even at swingers clubs it is inappropriate to start anything without the other person consenting. Why would being a gay make it any different? do you think the sex of the respective parties would make a difference?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Abletony

I don't agree with you. A bar isn't just for drinking in. It's a social environment as much as, if not more than, anything else. If you want to flirt with someone, consent isn't necessary. You just do it, and then you read the signs. Geez, it's not like you have to invite them to sign a contract.