News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

I have a question.

Started by tymygy, October 16, 2010, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Of course, but what is outside of the visible universe?
Outside the visible universe? More universe! There's a lot we can't yet see.
Quote from: "tymygy"How do we discern "everything"? And how do we discern "nothing"?
Everything is all spacetime. Nothing is a lack of spacetime.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

AlP

Quote from: "Will"Everything is all spacetime. Nothing is a lack of spacetime.
Are you telling me that every time I run out of underpants its because of a lack of spacetime? I'm telling you it's because I didn't do the laundry.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Tanker

Quote from: "AlP"
Are you telling me that every time I run out of underpants its because of a lack of spacetime? I'm telling you it's because I didn't do the laundry.

But your underwear still exist...in the dirty laundry. Thats totaly diferent from nothing/non-existance/lack of space time. I'm telling you if somehow your underwear lacked or ceased to have space time they would not and by deffinition could not exist.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

tymygy

Quote from: "Tanker"Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the Universe and the Observable Universe two seperate things in terms of being able to test and observe that is? As in we can't actually observe all the universe because it's constantly expanding and we are limited to light speed observations of what was but not what is.

Do you mean we don't know whats really going on in the universe because we're taking pictures as it looked billions of years ago?
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Will"
Quote from: "PoopShoot"Of course, but what is outside of the visible universe?
Outside the visible universe? More universe! There's a lot we can't yet see.
Right.  Let's put it a different way, mr. literal.  If you were to teleport to the edge of space, you know, that place with all the blue bubbles in Star Trek, anyway, go there, what's past it?  What evidence is there that our little expanding bubble of spacetime is the ONLY expanding bubble of spacetime?
All hail Cancer Jesus!

tymygy

does that include parallel universes?

And nothing is not really nothing, like I said before, go watch Lawerence Krauss' video "A Universe from Nothing", wonderful explanations on what "nothing" really is.
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

tymygy

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Right.  Let's put it a different way, mr. literal.  If you were to teleport to the edge of space, you know, that place with all the blue bubbles in Star Trek, anyway, go there, what's past it?  What evidence is there that our little expanding bubble of spacetime is the ONLY expanding bubble of spacetime?

^like.

AlP

Quote from: "Tanker"But your underwear still exist...in the dirty laundry.
Oh that's where I put them! I knew philosophy would turn out to be useful for something.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Tanker

Quote from: "tymygy"
Quote from: "Tanker"Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the Universe and the Observable Universe two seperate things in terms of being able to test and observe that is? As in we can't actually observe all the universe because it's constantly expanding and we are limited to light speed observations of what was but not what is.

Do you mean we don't know whats really going on in the universe because we're taking pictures as it looked billions of years ago?

Partialy. The universe is what about 13.7 billion lightyears across? By the time we saw the edge about an aditional 7 billion years would have passed (assuming we're near the center)and the universe would be much larger and the "edge" would no longer be the edge. It's like a never ending game of 'catch up' that we will never win. We can make predictions and educated guesses but we can literaly never see the "edge".

Imagine it like this we have maps of every city but what if acurate maps couldn't be completed and distibuted for at least 100 years after comissioning. While the map would be an acurate depiction of a city 100 years in the past, under this circumstance we would never know how large the city had become because our information would always be hopelessly out of date. We could make predictions about the cities size and growth patterns because we have evidence and records for how a city does grow but we could never 'know' it's actual size or dimensions.

(I know there isn't an "edge" persay just like there isn't a "before" the big bang. However it's alot easier then "the amorpheous limit to space and time as we know them".)

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Tanker"(I know there isn't an "edge" persay just like there isn't a "before" the big bang. However it's alot easier then "the amorpheous limit to space and time as we know them".)
If you're pedantic.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Will

Quote from: "AlP"Are you telling me that every time I run out of underpants its because of a lack of spacetime? I'm telling you it's because I didn't do the laundry.
The question seems to be what exists out of what we understand to be the universe. I understand the universe to be spacetime, a thing governed by laws and filled with matter and energy. Based on our current knowledge, everything is within spacetime. Maybe some day we'll discover something else, but for now the best guess would seem to be boxers because briefs are uncomfortable. I think I lost my train of thought there.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"Right.  Let's put it a different way, mr. literal.  If you were to teleport to the edge of space, you know, that place with all the blue bubbles in Star Trek, anyway, go there, what's past it?  What evidence is there that our little expanding bubble of spacetime is the ONLY expanding bubble of spacetime?
Because spacetime is moving right along with matter and energy from what we understand to be the Big Bang. If that's moving right along with the chunks, there's reason to believe the expansion encompasses everything. It's certainly not something we know for sure, but if I'm up on astronomy and physics, it's our best hypothesis at this point.
Quote from: "tymygy"does that include parallel universes?
We know basically nothing about parallel universes. I could only guess as to their nature.
Quote from: "tymygy"And nothing is not really nothing, like I said before, go watch Lawerence Krauss' video "A Universe from Nothing", wonderful explanations on what "nothing" really is.
No, I mean real nothing. A complete lack of anything, not just matter and energy, but physical laws. It's not a place one can visit (as visiting would require space and time), in fact it's probably beyond our current comprehension.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tanker

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Tanker"(I know there isn't an "edge" persay just like there isn't a "before" the big bang. However it's alot easier then "the amorpheous limit to space and time as we know them".)
If you're pedantic.

Shouldn't that be "unless your pedantic"? Lol. It was preemptive self-correcting I was getting flash backs to discussions about the big bang and people correcting me when I say "before" when they know perfectly well what I meant and that I wasn't being literal. So I thought I'd kill the fire before the smoke.

tymygy

Quote from: "Will"No, I mean real nothing. A complete lack of anything, not just matter and energy, but physical laws. It's not a place one can visit (as visiting would require space and time), in fact it's probably beyond our current comprehension.

I'm not sure I follow.

So, if it requires space and time, its not in our universe. But how can we "nothing" exists?

Your right, the concept of nothing, if it is real, is far surpassing our comprehension because it would be based on zero evidence and assumptions. (Am I wrong?)

And another thing, if nothing exists, does it exist? We can't see it, feel it, hear it, smell it, etc. So its not testable, and will forever remain a mystery.

Tank

Quote from: "Tanker"The universe is what about 13.7 billion lightyears across?

Universe Measured: We're 156 Billion Light-years Wide!

QuoteIf you've ever wondered how big the universe is, you're not alone. Astronomers have long pondered this, too, and they've had a hard time figuring it out. Now an estimate has been made, and its a whopper.

The universe is at least 156 billion light-years wide.

In the new study, researchers examined primordial radiation imprinted on the cosmos. Among their conclusions is that it is less likely that there is some crazy cosmic "hall of mirrors" that would cause one object to be visible in two locations. And they've ruled out the idea that we could peer deep into space and time and see our own planet in its youth...

Interesting stuff, things are often not what they appear to be!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tanker

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Tanker"The universe is what about 13.7 billion lightyears across?

Universe Measured: We're 156 Billion Light-years Wide!

QuoteIf you've ever wondered how big the universe is, you're not alone. Astronomers have long pondered this, too, and they've had a hard time figuring it out. Now an estimate has been made, and its a whopper.

The universe is at least 156 billion light-years wide.

In the new study, researchers examined primordial radiation imprinted on the cosmos. Among their conclusions is that it is less likely that there is some crazy cosmic "hall of mirrors" that would cause one object to be visible in two locations. And they've ruled out the idea that we could peer deep into space and time and see our own planet in its youth...

Interesting stuff, things are often not what they appear to be!

Thanks I think I mixed the age with the size. Lol.