News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Earth-like planet found

Started by DropLogic, September 30, 2010, 10:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DropLogic

http://www.slate.com/id/2269244/

Yeah, it's far away.  But I'm still excited.
What are your thoughts on the possibility of intelligent life in our galaxy?
I think the probability of life on other planets is near 100%, just by math alone.  By far, most would be mere microbes of course.

If you take into consideration that there are two earth type planets within 20 light years of each other...coincidence? Or have we overestimated how special our home is?

NearBr0ken

The latter.  Our current civilization (6,000 years old and running) is founded on the belief that we're special.  Special Earth, special humans, special God, special church, special denominations, etc. and everything else is beneath us or wrong.

As for the prospect of alien life, the math says it's out there but doesn't say how close.

Asmodean

That the one which always faces the sun with the same side..? In that case, it's not actually Earth-like. It could. however, in theory support life.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

There are lots of planets that could support life that we discard over silly things like "water" and "carbon".  Any solvent will do and any chemical that can act as the basis for complex compounds will do, so long as both are present together.  I think it would be hilarious to see the look on scientists faces if the first extraterrestrial life they found were silicon based and drank some kind of oil.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"There are lots of planets that could support life that we discard over silly things like "water" and "carbon".  Any solvent will do and any chemical that can act as the basis for complex compounds will do, so long as both are present together.  I think it would be hilarious to see the look on scientists faces if the first extraterrestrial life they found were silicon based and drank some kind of oil.
I think those would be faces of thoroughly fascinated people.

Scientists do not claim that extraterrestrial life has to be C-12-based, or at least the more serious ones do not. However, as we have a higher chance of recognising something completely new if it reminds us of something we already know of, it makes sense to look for things we know to support life in our search for it.

If in our search for familiar kind of life, we find something else, I thing the scientific community will be very pleased no matter the base chemicals of the finding.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

I would think it would make more sense to hold off on the search for extra terrestrial life until the physicists have come up with a way to make the search even feasible.  Doing it right now is like a cartographer heading into the Pacific on a dinghy in search of obscure islands.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"I would think it would make more sense to hold off on the search for extra terrestrial life until the physicists have come up with a way to make the search even feasible.  Doing it right now is like a cartographer heading into the Pacific on a dinghy in search of obscure islands.
Except the way we do it is safer.

Maybe the search is futile, but we can still have our fun with the telescopes.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "PoopShoot"I would think it would make more sense to hold off on the search for extra terrestrial life until the physicists have come up with a way to make the search even feasible.  Doing it right now is like a cartographer heading into the Pacific on a dinghy in search of obscure islands.
I think we should figure out how to sustain our civilization before worrying about finding other ones.  Maybe dump some funding and a few more scientists at the fusion power issue.  And by a few, I mean thousands.  Right now the McDonald's down the street has more employees than the fusion power research projects around the world.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "DropLogic"I think we should figure out how to sustain our civilization before worrying about finding other ones.
That too, though I consider it a step in the aforementioned direction.  I suppose it's not inherently a step, so you are correct.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"I think we should figure out how to sustain our civilization
Why..? As it is, why is it worth sustaining?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "DropLogic"I think we should figure out how to sustain our civilization
Why..? As it is, why is it worth sustaining?
A depressing reality, for sure.  Education is the key though, and I think we are headed for another enlightenment.  New types of educational institutions are sprouting up, and people are paying more attention.  As default resistance to change, religious zealots are organizing with more fervor as well.
It is worth sustaining because of our rate of advancement.  Just think about how long we humans have walked this planet....~4 million years in something close to our current form.  Yet, in just the last 250 or so years...EVERYTHING has changed.  I see only good times for humanity in the future, and I can't wait to see it.

Unless we blow ourselves to shit, or run out of resources, or medicate ourselves to death (meaning creation of super virii that are immune to every form of treatment short of microwaves).  Yeah, that kinda sucks.

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"Unless we blow ourselves to shit, or run out of resources, or medicate ourselves to death (meaning creation of super virii that are immune to every form of treatment short of microwaves).  Yeah, that kinda sucks.
That fine print right there was sort of my point... People, they are not all that nice and things they do, those are often even less nice than the people who do them. We are parasites when it comes to resources and are ultimately a destructive force to this planet AND we do love our drugs...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "DropLogic"Unless we blow ourselves to shit, or run out of resources, or medicate ourselves to death (meaning creation of super virii that are immune to every form of treatment short of microwaves).  Yeah, that kinda sucks.
That fine print right there was sort of my point... People, they are not all that nice and things they do, those are often even less nice than the people who do them. We are parasites when it comes to resources and are ultimately a destructive force to this planet AND we do love our drugs...
I propose that the first mission to Mars carry a big ass cannabis plant.  It will stop the astronauts from killing each other. :)

Jats

"...saw this posted again last week, still amazing, humbling, and is there life out there then, well if there is it is probably more Vogon than Vulcan, some poetry then while you stare at the screen with your mouth open, dribbling a little..."

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!
"

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"I propose that the first mission to Mars carry a big ass cannabis plant.  It will stop the astronauts from killing each other. :)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. What would stop them from killing each other, is being isolated from each other which is a problematic proposition at best.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.