News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Christians in uniform

Started by Whitney, April 08, 2010, 04:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobee

Why are Christians volunteering to kill.

Thousands of Christians are in the US and UK Armed forces volunteering to kill [including padres].

What happened to 'thou shall not kill'.

Dretlin

Quote from: "jobee"Why are Christians volunteering to kill.

Thousands of Christians are in the US and UK Armed forces volunteering to kill [including padres].

Could you expand on what you mean exactly?

Religious values can be seen to stand alongside cultural ones. Such as defending a nations values and interests.

Even though this can be seen as a contradiction. Is this what you are referring to?

Whitney

FYI, the OP is unlikely to respond coherently to your posts; please see his intro thread replies for al ink to how he acted on raving atheist.

jobee

Quote from: "Dretlin"

Could you expand on what you mean exactly?

Religious values can be seen to stand alongside cultural ones. Such as defending a nations values and interests.

Even though this can be seen as a contradiction. Is this what you are referring to?

Either Christianity is pacifist, or it is not. No Iraqi attacked the US or UK for political or religious reasons.

Aside from that, I want to know why Christians are volunteering to kill at all.

Their famous sixth is quite specific [thou shall not kill].

jobee

Quote from: "Whitney"FYI, the OP is unlikely to respond coherently to your posts; please see his intro thread replies for al ink to how he acted on raving atheist.

Would you kindly discuss the topic, not the poster.
Raving atheists attacked me as soon as i posted two atheist posts. Why? i dont know.

Dretlin

As I said in my previous post, perhaps when one feels they are defending their values and beliefs - that is defending their god/gods/unicorns or whatever people decide they want to worship.

Whitney

Quote from: "jobee"Would you kindly discuss the topic, not the poster.
Raving atheists attacked me as soon as i posted two atheist posts. Why? i dont know.

Maybe it was because you posted the same thing more than once like you did here just before I wrote what you responded to above?

Sophus

Technically, it says Thou shalt not murder (unlawful killing). Nothing unlawful about killing in war.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

jobee

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "jobee"Would you kindly discuss the topic, not the poster.

Maybe it was because you posted the same thing more than once like you did here just before I wrote what you responded to above?

Maybe is because you addressed the poster and not the post. The same as raving atheist did.

I'll try again, why are Christians volunteering to kill, 'anywhere' governments send them.

Thousands went killing in Vietnam when they must have known the Vietnamese people had every right to unite their own

country if they wish to do so.

What happened to 'thou shall not kill'. Please answer the post.

SSY

If you have the conviction that an all powerful god loves you, then it becomes easy to rationalise, "Oh, well, this might be a bit dodgy, but god loves me, and I am more or less decent, I am sure god will let me into heaven", it of course helps that god is American, and the people you happen to be killing are godless heathens. People largely pick and choose what they want from the bible, so they can justify their own actions, while condemning people they don't like, it should be no surprise they do that in this instance also, it's easy, "Oh, that old testament stuff does not apply to me, Jesus sorted it out by getting hung like a picture for us" or during the crusades , "The people I am killing are blasphemers, the pope said they don't even have souls, killing them is fine in god's eyes I'm sure"

Just so you know, telling the owner of the site what to do, on her own forums, is not the wisest move in the world, even if she normally is pretty level headed.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

Quote from: "SSY"Just so you know, telling the owner of the site what to do, on her own forums, is not the wisest move in the world, even if she normally is pretty level headed.

Indeed.

jobee

Quote from: "Dretlin"As I said in my previous post, perhaps when one feels they are defending their values and beliefs - that is defending their god/gods/unicorns or whatever people decide they want to worship.

So they are doing what they like, Christian morals no longer exist.

jobee

Quote from: "SSY"If you have the conviction that an all powerful god loves you, then it becomes easy to rationalise, "Oh, well, this might be a bit dodgy, but god loves me, and I am more or less decent, I am sure god will let me into heaven", it of course helps that god is American, and the people you happen to be killing are godless heathens. People largely pick and choose what they want from the bible, so they can justify their own actions, while condemning people they don't like, it should be no surprise they do that in this instance also, it's easy, "Oh, that old testament stuff does not apply to me, Jesus sorted it out by getting hung like a picture for us" or during the crusades , "The people I am killing are blasphemers, the pope said they don't even have souls, killing them is fine in god's eyes I'm sure"

Just so you know, telling the owner of the site what to do, on her own forums, is not the wisest move in the world, even if she normally is pretty level headed.

Yes, Tony Blair sent the army killing in Iraq [a country that had done nothing to the UK] after his slaughter the Pope accepted him into the the Catholic Church-nice little twosome.

[Thou shall not kill]

elliebean

If I may counter your initial question with an equlivalent question:

Why does an atheist who would, presumably, describe himself as a rational thinker go on an atheist forum to ask atheists to speculate on the motivations of christians?
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tanker

Jobee shouldn't this question be directed at Christians.

Quote from: "elliebean"If I may counter your initial question with an equlivalent question:

Why does an atheist who would, presumably, describe himself as a rational thinker go on an atheist forum to ask atheists to speculate on the motivations of christians?

I ditto this.

You seem to be getting upset that a bunch of Atheists wont give you a straight answer on a subject they can't really know. We can make educated guesses but not really claim deffinitively why anyone who is not us decideds to do anything. Go to a Christian forum I think they may be able to tell how Christian feel about it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.