News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hexagon of Saturn

Started by DennisK, December 03, 2008, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisK

I stumbled upon a video on YouTube regarding the NASA discovery (Cassini probe in March 07) of a colossal hexagonal storm on Saturn's north pole.  It is a seemingly constant phenomenon because it was consistent with Voyager missions' discoveries.  This is probably old news for many of you, but it is new to me and I find it fascinating.  What viable explanations are there about the cause of this bizarre storm (in laymen's terms please)?  The following video suggests that the energy is internal and there is "bizarre physics" at play.

Here's a link to NASA's video (click on the right labeled "Saturn's Cyclones":  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

Here's the article: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20070327.html
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

curiosityandthecat

S'new to me! It's quite interesting... never seen anything quite like it.

Here's the linkdirectly to the page with the images and animation.
-Curio

Wechtlein Uns

Alas, it gives me hope that someday we will traverse the universe. We're going to crush those alien people who keep abducting us. Halo-style.  :blush:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "DennisK"I stumbled upon a video on YouTube regarding the NASA discovery (Cassini probe in March 07) of a colossal hexagonal storm on Saturn's north pole.  It is a seemingly constant phenomenon because it was consistent with Voyager missions' discoveries.  This is probably old news for many of you, but it is new to me and I find it fascinating.  What viable explanations are there about the cause of this bizarre storm (in laymen's terms please)?  The following video suggests that the energy is internal and there is "bizarre physics" at play.

Here's a link to NASA's video (click on the right labeled "Saturn's Cyclones":  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

Here's the article: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20070327.html
Yeah this is so amazing as well.  :)
Uranus actually has an "eternal storm" as well.
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Whitney

I had seen images of Saturn storms before but didn't notice they weren't circular.  That is interesting.

DennisK

Quote from: "Zarathustra"Yeah this is so amazing as well.  :)
Uranus actually has an "eternal storm" as well.

Thanks.  I hadn't heard about Jupiter and Uranus.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "DennisK"Thanks.  I hadn't heard about Jupiter and Uranus.

;)
-Curio

karadan

Wow!! That is super awesome! I'd never heard of that before.

I love the way nature constantly blind-sides us with findings such as this hexagon. I can imagine hundreds of cosmologists and scientists simultaneously spitting coffee all over their monitors when this was first observed. :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

BadPoison

oldschooldoc

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"

;)

So juvenile...but I was thinking the same thing...haha  :D
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

DennisK

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"

;)

Actually, I pronounced it yer-in-us with an extra pause after yer so you didn't hear "urine".  Now that I think about it, my pronunciation may be interpreted as kinky. :blush: