Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What Would An Atheist Church Look Like

Started by ShimShamSam, March 24, 2008, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

It would look like this:

http://www.churchoffreethought.org/

If you want to know anything about it that isn't covered on the website, I have been in contact with their activities director.

Martian

"What Would An Atheist Church Look Like?"

An empty building.

Seriously. I'm an atheist, you're an atheist. We agree on the simple fact that God doesn't exist. But that gets boring. We don't have any dogma or ancient traditions to work with. We'd have to talk about scientific topics or a variety of philosophical point of view to have a reason to stay together.

But, in that case, you might as well call it a freethought church. It wouldn't be centered around atheism anymore.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Msblue

It would be more of a gathering place. Combination coffee shop/ bar! San Fran would be great. What are our chances of getting medicinal marijuana and tax exempt status?   :cheers:

Will

Martian has spoken, and he's probably right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

nummymuffin

I would rather just kick it at a coffee shop or a library and read, think and be merry! The idea of a church-no matter how relaxing or "non-religious" you attempt to make it-it'll still probably have that uncomfortableness (is that even a word?) w/ it that makes the experience unpleasent for many!

JournoNYC

Hi everyone. I'm actually writing an article for a national news service about this very subject. I'd like to talk to people who have attended a church-like gathering for atheists or who attend church or synagogue or another religious place of worship despite being atheists.

If that sounds like you, please PM me or respond in this thread.

Thanks,
Alex

JournoNYC

I should also add, if the idea of going to church in any way seems unappealing to you as an atheist, I'd also like to talk to you as well.

Participating in the article would be a way to get more atheist voices in the media.

Thanks!
Alex

ShimShamSam

Like we said, if it were to be a "church" it certainly wouldn't be like one. A church is designed for preaching, lots of pews facing a single podium. An atheist church would be a bunch of tables, like at a library.

Whitney

Quote from: "JournoNYC"Hi everyone. I'm actually writing an article for a national news service about this very subject. I'd like to talk to people who have attended a church-like gathering for atheists or who attend church or synagogue or another religious place of worship despite being atheists.

Thanks,
Alex

Journo, you should contact the people from the link I posted above for the north texas church of free thought; they would be a great source for your article.  

May I ask what made you decide to write this article and what conclusion you expect to draw from it?

I've never been to a church-like gathering for atheists....I have been to meetups but that's just getting together with friends.  I don't think I'd feel comfortable attending most religious churches since very few tend to support open conversations about the day's topic.  

I have noticed that those who define themselves as freethinkers are typically very able to discuss a heated topic without being offended or turning it into a fight,   Unfortunately, I can't say I've had that same experience with dogmatic individuals.

I don't find the idea of going to a religious church appealing because I have better things to do with my free time than sit in a pew for an hour listening to a minister preach.  If I want to learn about a religion I can read about it on my own without having to have some one's interpretation spun into it.

JournoNYC

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "JournoNYC"Hi everyone. I'm actually writing an article for a national news service about this very subject. I'd like to talk to people who have attended a church-like gathering for atheists or who attend church or synagogue or another religious place of worship despite being atheists.

Thanks,
Alex

Journo, you should contact the people from the link I posted above for the north texas church of free thought; they would be a great source for your article.  

May I ask what made you decide to write this article and what conclusion you expect to draw from it?

I've never been to a church-like gathering for atheists....I have been to meetups but that's just getting together with friends.  I don't think I'd feel comfortable attending most religious churches since very few tend to support open conversations about the day's topic.  

I have noticed that those who define themselves as freethinkers are typically very able to discuss a heated topic without being offended or turning it into a fight,   Unfortunately, I can't say I've had that same experience with dogmatic individuals.

I don't find the idea of going to a religious church appealing because I have better things to do with my free time than sit in a pew for an hour listening to a minister preach.  If I want to learn about a religion I can read about it on my own without having to have some one's interpretation spun into it.
Hi.
I did in fact contact the NTCoF and they'll be in the article. I don't know that I expect to draw a "conclusion" from the article, since that's not exactly how it works. I became interested in the subject when looking for some kind of Jewish organization I could join that would take God out of the equation. :)

Also, if anyone is a Unitarian Universalist atheist, I'd like to talk to them too.

Thanks.

Eris

For one, I demand that it be designed by The Fountainhead's character Howard Roark, and it would be a great temple dedicated to human potential.

As for what we'd talk about, there would be a lot of:
"You know Bob, I don't think god exists."
"You're right, Frank. God doesn't exist."
"Isn't it amazing that no gods exist?"
"Sure, Frank. Hey, let's go get some coffee and doughnuts!"
"Great idea, Bob!"
Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it may.

ShimShamSam

true, Howard Roark should design it. He's totally crazy, course, I don't care what this building looks like, or rather each one where ever it is, and if these "churches" have free thought in mind when building them, is it likely that any will look the same?

Joyi V Chacko

If u start an "atheist church" in  India some people will errect a staue of atheist god there and will start worshipping! I have tried to talk to my friends and relatives for years about the non-existence of god, noone would accept.  Even the week believer would like to have some supernatural power to rely upon!

EvolutionCalling

You forget the most important parts of our "church"!  We need someplace to sacrifice things!  Oh and a pit for burning the holiest of holy scriptures of the world religions!  Yes, and a secrets underground chamber for plotting sinister plots!  Come on now, we can't disappoint the Christians. :blush:

Asmodean

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"You forget the most important parts of our "church"!  We need someplace to sacrifice things!  Oh and a pit for burning the holiest of holy scriptures of the world religions!  Yes, and a secrets underground chamber for plotting sinister plots!  Come on now, we can't disappoint the Christians. :D

And I likes "temple" better than "church" :devil: )
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.