News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Theists should see this.

Started by Guardian85, December 13, 2011, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

This clip from Darkmatter2525 points out a worthwhile point about the relationship between atheists and theists. Please check it out. It might trigger thinking about things.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkMatter2525#p/u/1/-j8ZMMuu7MU

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

The rejection vid..? I like it, but it won't do too many theists any good to watch it, since they tend to be prone to reject the "absolute" reality and substitute with their own.

Oh, and a word can mean exactly what you want, as Egor so kindly demonstrated. I think I'm gonna start calling my shoe a bucket from now on.  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xm1

I do really like the point it makes but this guy is annoying to listen to.  He should give the script to someone a little less difficult, maybe lighten up a bit.  His other videos were a little easier.

I don't think videos like this are about convincing current theists to change their minds as much as helping the undecided or doubtful to see a different point of view.

unholy1971

Loved it, very interesting.  Thanks for posting.

Guardian85

You are quite welcome.

I thought it might provide insight into the relationship between the believer and his god(s).

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Pharaoh Cat

Wow.  That was fantastic.

I would add another notion.  Not a replacement - an addition.  The video made me think of how faith could really be tribalism in disguise.  As Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York recently said, "The Church is Jesus."

Source: http://www.thetablet.co.uk/article/162011

I wonder how many Christians conflate Jesus and their church as one in their minds.  Disbelief in Jesus, then, would be a rejection of the value and validity of their tribe.  It would feel very personal.

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Pharaoh Cat

Double wow!  That video has opened up a whole new tributary in my mental geography.

If I'm a believer, Jesus could represent, in my psyche -

(1) My ego.
(2) My alleged Higher Self.
(3) My tribe/congregation/denomination.
(4) My biological family.
(5) My perfect lover.
(6) My perfect father.

- and as a result, any questioning of the reality of Jesus would be a threat to the very existence of one or more of the six items above!

Holy shit.  That explains a lot.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)