News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Truth About Religion (?)

Started by Chimera, July 10, 2009, 09:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera

I just found these videos on Atheist Nexus and was curious to know what the rest of you think. I don't know a whole lot about the history of the world's religions although I have heard some of these claims. What really got me was the astrological stuff. I looked up some of the things mentioned here, and it all seemed to check out as far as I could tell, but I don't want to go around spouting this stuff as fact...the skeptic side of myself won't allow it. LOL

So please, check these out and let me know what you think.

http://atheistnexus.org/video/truth-abo ... -part-1-of

http://atheistnexus.org/video/truth-abo ... ion-2-of-3

http://atheistnexus.org/video/truth-abo ... -part-3-of
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Will

I don't have time to watch all three, but so far Horus is totally correct by my understanding, as is Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, and Mithra. The story of Jesus Christ was plagiarized from another god that was plagiarized from other gods. It may have started with Horus or it may have started earlier.

I'm being totally sirius!

Edit: Okay, I got hooked and watched the whole thing. Yes, it seems correct. I didn't find any mistakes.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Chimera

Thanks for checking that out, Will. I trust your judgment. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw all the claims those videos made!
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Sophus

I'm no expert myself but I have seen experts in Folklore and Historians confirm these sort of claims.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

thiolsulfate

It doesn't seem so outrageous.

Romans co-opted the entire Greek Pantheon. I wouldn't be surprised if we found that Christianity was just an amalgamation of an assortment of equally nonsensical cults.

Chimera

It's just...people treat it like it's so real...I myself was ready to die a martyr for the faith before I came to my senses.

Sophus

Quote from: "Chimera"It's just...people treat it like it's so real...I myself was ready to die a martyr for the faith before I came to my senses.
Same here. It's so sad that people value, not only faith over their own lives, but over others. People like the girl at the Columbine shooting are praised, idolized and used as role models. I don't get it, it's just not something to die for. Then again, they don't think death is the end.  :shake:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "Sophus"Same here. It's so sad that people value, not only faith over their own lives, but over others. People like the girl at the Columbine shooting are praised, idolized and used as role models. I don't get it, it's just not something to die for. Then again, they don't think death is the end.  :shake:
Actually, according to the FBI report, she said nothing of the sort. The two nutcases didn't ask that question.

As much as it may have brought some degree of comfort to her grieving parents, it's still a lie -- not even a really worthwhile lie -- unless, to her parents, her worth to them was measured by her faith.

Heretical Rants

I swear I've seen this exact video before...

Probably in Zeitgeist.

Sophus

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"Actually, according to the FBI report, she said nothing of the sort. The two nutcases didn't ask that question.

As much as it may have brought some degree of comfort to her grieving parents, it's still a lie -- not even a really worthwhile lie -- unless, to her parents, her worth to them was measured by her faith.

Whoa! Not to mention a horrible jab at atheists. Whatever happened to Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness? Makes me think of all the claims of atheists "seeing the light" on their deathbed.

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "thiolsulfate"Actually, according to the FBI report, she said nothing of the sort. The two nutcases didn't ask that question.

Whoa! Not to mention a horrible jab at atheists. Whatever happened to Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness? Makes me think of all the claims of atheists "seeing the light" on their deathbed.
I had the same reaction when I found out. But yeah, it's false. It didn't happen. Those nutcases didn't care about the beliefs of the people they killed, they just wanted to kill.

The rumor was started by a teacher who was hiding who thinks that she heard one of the shooters ask the question. She told the parents who told the preacher of the Evangelical church they attended who then went about canonizing her.

Columbine was tragic enough as it was without that wretched lie.

Tom62

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"I swear I've seen this exact video before...

Probably in Zeitgeist.
Yes, your are absolutely right. It is from Zeitgeist.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Chimera

What's Zeitgeist?

ETA: Google is my friend. I'm reading an interesting article on Skeptic.com about the film. It's quite interesting: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-02-25#feature