News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Help me figure out WHAT I am LOL

Started by Kandlelight, August 18, 2010, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kandlelight

I have never really known exactly WHAT to call myself since disagreeing with the belief in a god.

Here's what I feel in my heart.....  that there is no supreme being called a god, that everything is energy therefore there is no beginning or end to anything it merely changes form. I do believe we live more than one life.  I practice Reiki and truly love it.  I love using essential oils and herbs, etc for their health benefits.

I feel as though I'm just a mishmash of so many different things that I can't be labeled simply with one title.  ;) Ok... now...  can anyone tell me what I am? LOL

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Why worry about labels applied by others?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Kandlelight

Re: labels...

I guess I'm not worried about labels but I would just kind of like to know where I fit. :)  When I first registered here, it asked what my "world view" was.  I really didn't know what to put there...  hence the decision to create this thread.

Jac3510

Sophus is probably right. Some form of pantheism.
"I want to believe there's a heaven. But I can't not believe there's a hell." ~  Vince Gilligan

Tank

Human? Me? Everything else is just an affectation brought about by others expectations of you. I wouldn't stick on too many labels as peeling them off can be painful, as you have undoubtedly already found out.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

I think free-thinker, which is what you have listed, is as good as you can ask for.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

McQ

Well, since you asked about a label...

hmmm....some thought on this one is required, because I don't know what label to pin on you. See, like all of us, you're not just any one thing all at once. You're a free-thinker some or most of the time, a skeptic of organized religion, but not of spirituality. So I don't think atheist applies. You do believe in Reiki and other things that most general skeptics and scientists  would not follow, so that's the reason I wouldn't pin a general skeptic label on you.

Maybe free-thinker isn't a bad one to go with for now. Or Free Inquirer. Or, as was suggested, pantheist. Spiritualist? Happy Wanderer?  :)

Labels are tough, and even though I often use the blanket label atheist here to describe my worldview, it's probably just as accurate to say Humanist, or Naturalist. No easy labels, really.

But hang out, poke around the forums, and have some fun!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Gawen

Quote from: "Kandlelight"I practice Reiki and truly love it.  I love using essential oils and herbs, etc for their health benefits.

I feel as though I'm just a mishmash of so many different things that I can't be labeled simply with one title.  ;) Ok... now...  can anyone tell me what I am? LOL
Not skeptical enough?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Kandlelight

Quote from: "Gawen"
Quote from: "Kandlelight"I practice Reiki and truly love it.  I love using essential oils and herbs, etc for their health benefits.

Not skeptical enough?

Could you explain why you replied as you did?  Especially highlighting my Reiki comment in red.

Martin TK

I will label you, it isn't fancy or threatening, or even all that surprising... you are.....

Human

As we all are.  Life is a journey, it isn't just a beginning and an end, as some would believe.  All along the way, most of us take little detours to explore what feels right, and what just isn't our "cup of tea."  There is NOTHING wrong with that, some of the GREATEST minds in our history have done this and advocate that you do it, too.  As a psychologist, I encourage it, so long as the journey is one that brings you some form of happiness, contentment, or stimulation.  Not all detours are happy ones, some are fraught with what I call the "great wake-up call."  These can be anything from the realization that you need to grow, that your spouse is a jackass (or in some cases NOT a jackass) that you have issues with anger or a pain that comes from a place so far down you didn't even realize it was affecting your life view.

Some of these detours are simply FUN, like a day at the beach, an unexpected joy, and sometimes even one that seems spiritual in nature.  I am an atheist, but I can't help but feel something akin to spirituality when I walk on the beach, see the smile on the face of my new grandson, watch a sunset, realize the love I feel for my wife, or just sit quietly and ponder my existence among the cosmos.  So to make a LONG ramble make sense:  Be who you are and be proud of it.  If your belief system does no harm, threatens no one, and makes you happy - good for YOU.  Remember life's a journey, enjoy it. :D
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion