Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Introvert? Extrovert?

Started by Amicale, May 09, 2012, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

EXTROVERT!!!
As if you couldn't guess  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Who'd have thunk?   :D

Me, I a definitely an introvert.  Although with the right people, in the right circumstances, I can be very social for short periods of time.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

OldGit

Space Pope Approved

I'm thoroughly introverted.  On those Meyers-Briggs tests I get 100% introversion.  It takes a long time for me to feel comfortable with new people, and that's when I'm able to talk to them.  I avoid talking on the phone as much as humanly possible, even to people I know.

I'm also a language teacher.  People say I express myself well in the class, am accessible, easy to talk to, etc.  I think it's because I've learned to play the part of the teacher.  In social situations I don't know what part to play, so I find it hard to do anything.

My ex makes fun of me whenever I tell him I was out in public with other people.  "And you sat in the corner and didn't talk to anybody!" he says.  That's what happened whenever we were with his friends, because they were all one group and I was the weird outsider who nobody had anything to say to.  At first I thought it might be something cultural (I'm American, they're Spanish), but looking back I think they were probably just dicks.

Anne D.

Quote from: Space Pope Approved on May 09, 2012, 11:42:26 PM
I'm thoroughly introverted.  On those Meyers-Briggs tests I get 100% introversion.  It takes a long time for me to feel comfortable with new people, and that's when I'm able to talk to them.  I avoid talking on the phone as much as humanly possible, even to people I know.

I'm also a language teacher.  People say I express myself well in the class, am accessible, easy to talk to, etc.  I think it's because I've learned to play the part of the teacher.  In social situations I don't know what part to play, so I find it hard to do anything.

My ex makes fun of me whenever I tell him I was out in public with other people.  "And you sat in the corner and didn't talk to anybody!" he says.  That's what happened whenever we were with his friends, because they were all one group and I was the weird outsider who nobody had anything to say to.  At first I thought it might be something cultural (I'm American, they're Spanish), but looking back I think they were probably just dicks.

Ha!

I'm definitely primarily an introvert. I do okay with social situations where I'm dealing with someone one-on-one, but dealing with a group of people is totally exhausting. I don't at all mind going places on my own and usually prefer it, especially shopping. The only introvert things on the list that didn't click were the talking to strangers and parties—most of the time I really like talking to strangers, and I love to go to parties as long as I can just kind of hang back on the edge of a group or talk to one person at a time and/or as long as there's dancing (I'm almost never shy about dancing  ;D --life's too short).

Jimmy

I'm slightly extroverted. I do find the need to be around other people a lot, but I generally don't go out to parties, unless it's with family or close friends. I do like continuously learning and reading, and art; all rather introverted activities, but after doing these things, I need to talk about and share it all with people and I think I overwhelm them sometimes.. Lol. Anyways, I love saying hi to anybody and everybody and usually do small talk with people I don't know well, but I have a tendency to turn small talk into deep discussions with people I know a little better, which some people just aren't up to half the time. I'm really big into making eye contact with people and get a little perturbed when people don't. I'm pretty happy most the time and smile a lot at people and love it when they return a smile. Also, when I pass people on the street I will look at them and say high, and it bugs me when they don't say anything at all :(
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Jimmy on May 10, 2012, 05:52:37 AMAlso, when I pass people on the street I will look at them and say high, and it bugs me when they don't say anything at all :(

Oh sorry was that you?
I thought you must have been talking to someone behind me. 
Or were you the guy with the carpet cleaning flyers?

I wonder how many introverts find a partner of a similar nature or are pried out of their hiding places by marauding extroverts.

Jimmy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 10, 2012, 06:05:49 AM
Quote from: Jimmy on May 10, 2012, 05:52:37 AMAlso, when I pass people on the street I will look at them and say high, and it bugs me when they don't say anything at all :(

Oh sorry was that you?
I thought you must have been talking to someone behind me. 
Or were you the guy with the carpet cleaning flyers?

I wonder how many introverts find a partner of a similar nature or are pried out of their hiding places by marauding extroverts.
More than you can possibly know ;)
By the way, I was trying to talk to the cute young lady behind you :)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Sandra Craft

I've always ended up with extroverts.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 10, 2012, 06:16:42 AM

Same here. For romantic partners, as well as close friends. Go figure!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

technolud

Well, this seems to be the place to be if you want to hang out with a bunch of introverts.

I'm extrovert when forced into public (at work, etc) introvert if left to plan my own activities.

history_geek

Pretty much an introvert, both on my own and in public, but I can mimic extrovert qualities, when forced to :P

;)

Now, where's that paint? I have need to take a few hours off and paint the mountain of miniatures I have lying about...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on May 10, 2012, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 10, 2012, 06:16:42 AM

Same here. For romantic partners, as well as close friends. Go figure!

I'm definitely the extrovert in our relationship.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

How about the little fella, DJ?  Is he a little rip-roarer?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on May 10, 2012, 02:19:19 PM
How about the little fella, DJ?  Is he a little rip-roarer?

He's pretty shy - he likes smiling at ladies in public, but he's still pretty reserved. If we have new people over, he'll usually sit on my lap for a good half hour or so until he warms up to them. He's generally a pretty sensitive kid. It's funny because we have some close friends who have a little girl who's three months older than him and she's the complete opposite. As soon as she walks into a place, she's like "Hey! Who are you!" and she's not afraid of anyone. Sometimes when they're together our little guy just kind of looks at her like "What are you doing?! Are you nuts? You can't do that!" It's pretty cute.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.