News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Sharing knowledge.

Started by musicality, July 27, 2012, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicality

I've been traveling a lot  so i haven't been on HAF in a long time :) So my first post since my absence is a positive one.

the one commenting is my little cousin who is about to enter college. as I've mentioned before - my family, in general, are pretty devout catholics. curiosity, at least in my experience, hasn't been the best. and for her, i hope to make that journey easier. this made my day.

"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

xSilverPhinx

Looks like she's on the right track. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

I would chalk that one up as a win...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

En_Route

I looked at the video out of interest. No one will be shocked to learn that I found it an embarrassment. Crude biblical literalism is as nugatory in the hands of atheists as it is of theists. It is an impenetrable book , riddled with inconsistencies and obscurities and conflicting theologies, but one thing it is not is capable of  a single simplistic interpretation. Why people can't just accept it is  a garbled and incoherent product of primitive times subsequently doctored to serve the ends of various factions and power- blocs and leave it at that, I often wonder.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Who the fuck writes know with a bunch of w-s? How are you supposed to pronounce that? I kno[make a howling sound]?

Those people would likely stretch an n in boring too... Borinnnnnng in stead of boooring. Oh, yes they would.  >:(

... ...  >:(
*The Asmo makes a muttering exit*
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Good to see you, musicality.  And bully for your little cousin.

Firebird

Nice to have you back. And good for your cousin.

Quote from: Asmodean on July 27, 2012, 02:22:34 PM
Who the fuck writes know with a bunch of w-s? How are you supposed to pronounce that? I kno[make a howling sound]?

Those people would likely stretch an n in boring too... Borinnnnnng in stead of boooring. Oh, yes they would.  >:(

... ...  >:(
*The Asmo makes a muttering exit*

Brought to you by Asmo, the grey god of grammar and grumbler of gratuitous grandeur
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 27, 2012, 12:04:58 PM
I looked at the video out of interest. No one will be shocked to learn that I found it an embarrassment. Crude biblical literalism is as nugatory in the hands of atheists as it is of theists. It is an impenetrable book , riddled with inconsistencies and obscurities and conflicting theologies, but one thing it is not is capable of  a single simplistic interpretation. Why people can't just accept it is  a garbled and incoherent product of primitive times subsequently doctored to serve the ends of various factions and power- blocs and leave it at that, I often wonder.

Christians interpret the book at us for reasons to believe or not believe certain things.  Why is it wrong to interpret it back at them?

Tank

Quote from: Ali on July 27, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Christians interpret the book at us for reasons to believe or not believe certain things.  Why is it wrong to interpret it back at them?
Because you're giving it credence/credibility when in fact it's a pile of poop and best ignored? 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Ok, I'm now a fan of Jackson Pearce, that speech was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprRWKQys7A

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 27, 2012, 09:06:11 PM
Ok, I'm now a fan of Jackson Pearce, that speech was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprRWKQys7A

You think so.? She struck me as a shrill- voiced half- wit.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on July 27, 2012, 08:46:33 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 27, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Because you're giving it credence/credibility when in fact it's a pile of poop and best ignored? 

Precisely so. And also it's a game you can't win. Furthermore why focus so much  explicitly on Christianity? The siimple fact  is that there is not one shred of evidence to support the existence of any supernatural being and therefore absolutely no rational basis for believing in any of the alternative versions of same. If you do want to     attend specifically  to Christianity, there are strong arguments  to demonstrate that their  concept of God is self- contradictory  and untenable. Why  then get involved in debate over the finer points of a baseless theology? Once you start arguing over the nuances of biblical exegesis , you are in a quagmire- and our friend on the video is adopting a pretty obtuse sledgehammer approach as it happens. Why shift the argument on to the opposition's home territory?

musicality

The video I posted might not be something most of you don't like...but

The purpose of this topic was just to share that I was excited to spark an interest in my little cousin who, that night, confessed to me that she has been having doubts about religion and the existence of god. We spent hours talking and sharing our experiences. The last words she told me before I went to sleep was, "I'm excited to learn more."

but the point of it is, I shared my thoughts and it was given positive notice by a family member who was brought up in an even stricter household than I was.

This is Happy Atheist Forum right? I'm just happy I reached out to someone. :)
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

OldGit

Right.  Well, as you say, you wanted to show us what your cousin had done, and quite right, too.  The video is a move in the right direction and personally, I prefer to focus on that rather than to criticise details.

I think we should indeed be Happy to react to a valued member returning after a spell away.  Please stay with us, musicality.

Asmodean

Quote from: Firebird on July 27, 2012, 03:49:37 PM
Brought to you by Asmo, the grey god of grammar and grumbler of gratuitous grandeur
The Tome! Remember to advertise The Gray Tome!  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.